The Lodge Deep Dutch Oven is a large, deep Dutch oven that is pre-seasoned and ready to use right from the start. It is durable, reliable, and perfect for cooking all your camping meals.
The Lodge Deep Camp Dutch Oven is a cooking tool made of cast iron and excels at distributing and retaining heat. It has a stainless-steel handle that enables it to be hung on a tripod for slow cooking and a flanged lid that creates a tight seal at the top of the pot.
Weight & Packability of the camping Dutch Oven
When it comes to packing for a camping trip, every ounce counts. That’s why campers need to be mindful of the weight and Packability of their gear, especially when it comes to cookware.
Lodge is one of the leading cast iron cookware manufacturers, and their Deep Camp Dutch Oven is no exception. This oven is ideal for campers who want to be able to cook large meals, as it can hold up to eight quarts.
However, the cookware is also one of the heaviest pieces on the market, weighing almost 19 pounds. That’s nearly double the weight of some of the other Dutch ovens on the market.
Dutch Oven is a remarkable cooking tool.
So, what makes it worth its weight? For starters, this oven is extremely durable. It’s made with heavy-duty cast iron that can withstand years of use and abuse.
Another advantage is its size. This oven is large enough to accommodate big groups but still small enough to pack easily into a car or RV.
Finally, it comes with a lid that doubles as a skillet. Campers can save even more space by leaving their other skillets at home.
- Weight: 19.35 lbs (8.77 kg)
- Materials: Cast iron, Stainless steel handle
- Packed Size: 13.93″ x 13.93″ x 8.37″
- Dimensions: 11.75 x 10.5 x 6 inches
- Cast iron cooking pots distribute heat evenly—ideal for quick, high-heat browning and long, slow cooking. Cast iron is also nonstick, so it’s easy to clean.
Why we Love it
- This oven is versatile and can be used for various purposes, such as baking bread, cakes, and scones, making stews and casseroles, or even cooking whole fish. It can be placed directly onto hot embers or hung on a tripod over an open fire.
- This oven can be used for cooking over hot coals, and it has a bail handle so you can use it as a tripod if needed.
- Classic campsite cooker
- Integral legs on bottom of pot for campfire and fireplace cooking
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING DUTCH OVENS FOR CAMPING
Do the Dutch ovens have legs that make it easier to place the pot over hot charcoals
– A flat lid with raised edges allows you to cover the pot with hot charcoals, which helps distribute the heat and makes it easier to bake
– Some Dutch ovens have handles that make it easier to carry them around and hang them over an open fire with a tripod
-Dutch ovens come in many different sizes. The first thing to consider is how many people you will cook for. Then, you need to decide if you want a shallow or a deep Dutch oven. If you cook for four people, you’ll want a quart of cookware. If you are cooking for six people, you’ll want a half-gallon.
Cleaning and seasoning Dutch ovens
-Cast iron is a naturally nonstick cooking material, but it needs to be properly maintained
-After use, remove any food from the surface and coat with either Lodge Seasoning Spray or any store-bought nonstick cooking spray
-If the pan is left uncoated or any moisture is left on the surface, it will need to be scraped, washed, dried, and coated with cooking oil before being used again
This Lodge Dutch oven is a budget-friendly option that doesn’t compromise on quality. It includes all the must-have features, like legs, a handle, and a lid with a rim. Plus, it has legs on the lid so you can use it as a griddle.
This pot holds its heat very well and has an evenly heat distribution. You can cook anything in these pots, making it more convenient and environmentally friendly.
I’m not saying that you should only use deep models for cooking, but if you need to braise a chicken or roast a ham, these models are perfect.
If you want a cast iron that will last you a lifetime, you need to get one from the USA. Like the Lodge, Proudly American Quality for Generations
It’s true what they say: you are what you eat. And that goes for your cookware, too. If you want your food to be healthy and delicious, make sure you’re using cookware that’s been pre-seasoned with 100% natural vegetable oil.
- If you’re looking for a light Dutch oven for backpacking or camping, Lodge probably isn’t the right brand for you.
- This heavy pot could really use a stronger handle!
- Lodge Camp Dutch ovens almost always get positive reviews, with only a few reports of cracked pots on delivery or after first use. But if that happens, you’ll get a replacement.
Where Can You Buy it ?
-The Lodge 8-Quart Cast Iron Deep Camp Dutch Oven is a versatile and convenient pot that is perfect for camp cooking.
-The pot has a simple wire bail handle for easy carrying and is the official equipment of the Boy Scouts of America.
Whether you’re cooking for a group of friends or family, the Lodge Camp Dutch Oven is a great option. It’s large enough to accommodate multiple dishes, and the built-in thermometer ensures that your food will be cooked evenly. The enameled finish makes cleanup a snap, and the pot is backed by Lodge’s lifetime warranty. If you’re looking for a quality Dutch oven that will last for years, the Lodge Camp Dutch Oven is a great option.